Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 4 Complete

My Fourth day of riding has definately been the best so far. It was the first day of sun and by far the longest.
After arriving in Verona, NJ and having a wonderful night with my mothers cousin and her family I rode to Hoboken, NJ and stayed with a friend Andrea from Camp Happy Times. We had a relaxing night of watching american TV and eating fantastic Sushi. The next morning I took a ferry across the Hudson River and rode up the west side of Manhattan on the Hudson River Greenway. It pored rain the whole of the journey but was still very enjoyable. I made really great time that day and arrived at my destination of Rye Brook, NY just after lunch. I was greated there by the Minick family. I had known the oldest son Alec since my first summer at Tyler Hill and had his younger brother Chad in my bunk two summers ago. They have a younger brother Jake who is funny as could be aswell. In addition to those boys some other campers came over to spend the day. Justin and Ethan aswell as Ethan's brother Matt were all in attendance. We had a wonderful day of hanging out, jumping on the trampoline, eating great food and laughing alot. I was so happy to spend the day with a great family and good friends in a setting so different than the one that I've known them for so long.
Yesterday morning I headed out on my longest day yet. I mapped out a route of 71.2 Miles from the border of New York to Guilford, CT which is about 12 miles past New Haven. The weather was wonderful and I felt really stong through the day. I arrived around dinner time and stayed with other friends, Lenny and Natalie from Happy Times. Its amazing how in one week of camp at Happy Times I build so many connections. It truly is a special place. We went for a beautiful dinner last night and I've been enjoying the wonderful setting of their home. Its set in the woods, Surrounded by a huge rock cliff to one side. Its probably the most beautiful setting for a house I've stayed in.
This morning I am a little slow getting to the road. My first days of camping are in front of me and I am having a hard time leaving such a wonderful place. From this point until Boston my route is far less planned, I will go east rather than north to Hartford. I will meet up with the East Coast Greenway again in Providence but will go along country roads for the next few days as I snake through the rest of Conneticut towards Rhode Island.
<>

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find your way! This sounds like such a fun trip, what an amazing experience. I'll cross my fingers for no rain while you're camping...
    best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to come to Hoboken, good luck the rest of the way, can't wait to read more about it!

    ReplyDelete